Agnes Gatome-Munyua is a health financing professional with more than 10 years of experience in health financing and private sector health in East Africa.
At Results for Development, Ms. Gatome-Munyua is a senior program officer on the health team. She shares her time between the Health Systems Strengthening Accelerator, as the Africa regional liaison for the coaching network, the Joint Learning Network for Universal Health Coverage’s Provider Payment Mechanisms technical initiative and the Strategic Purchasing Africa Resource Center as a technical facilitator.
Ms. Gatome-Munyua has worked in a number of areas, including costing of health services, provider payment, health insurance and public-private sector engagement. Before joining R4D, she was a health financing specialist at Abt Associates where she worked on USAID-funded projects. In these roles, she has supported private health insurers increase low-cost health insurance sales, costed health services across East African countries, conducted policy analysis, supported an IT firm develop an electronic data interchange for claims processing, conducted market research for health insurance, and led a communication campaign to increase uptake of health insurance.
Ms. Gatome-Munyua has a master’s degree in health policy planning and financing from the London School of Economics and Political Sciences and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and a bachelor’s degree in medicine and surgery from the University of Nairobi. She is a member of the International Health Economics Association.
- Gatome-Munyua Agnes, Charles Kandie, Samuel Kinyanjui, Julia Ouko and Esther Wabuge. 2018. Regulation of Private Primary Health Care in Kenya. A country assessment report. Joint Learning Network for Universal Health Coverage, Results for Development.
- Gatome-Munyua Agnes, Sayaka Koseki, Benson Chuma, Stephen Musau and Ben Johns. 2015. An assessment of the cost and quality of private health services in Kenya. Bethesda, MD: Strengthening Health Outcomes through the Private Sector Project, Abt Associates Inc.
- Gatome-Munyua Agnes, Benson Chuma, Josef Tayag, Lauren Weir, and Sean Callahan. 2015. Increasing Domestic Resources for HIV trough Private Health Insurance in Kenya. Bethesda, MD: Strengthening Health Outcomes through the Private Sector Project, Abt Associates.
- Kukla, Matt, Joe Tayag and Agnes Gatome-Munyua. 2014. What Does the Informal Sector Know about Health Insurance? Baseline Findings from a Knowledge, Attitudes and Perceptions Survey in Nairobi, Kenya. Bethesda, MD: Strengthening Health Outcomes through the Private Sector Project, Abt Associates Inc.
- Gatome-Munyua A. The third AfHEA International Scientific Conference, Nairobi, Kenya, 11 – 13 March 2014. International conference organized by African Health Economics and Policy Association. Presented a poster presentation on “Saving Money, Saving Lives: An Evaluation of Changamka’s maternity savings.”
- Kukla, Matt, Agnes Gatome-Munyua, and Joe Tayag. 2015. Can Communication Campaigns Promote Demand for Health Insurance in Kenya? Bethesda, MD: Strengthening Health Outcomes through the Private Sector Project, Abt Associates Inc.
- Gatome-Munyua A. AMREF Health Africa International Conference, Nairobi, Kenya, 24 – 26 November 2014. International conference organized by AMREF and WHO. Presented a poster presentation on “Understanding the role of the private sector in national HIV spending: a snapshot of four countries.”
- Gatome-Munyua A. Fourth Global Symposium on Health Systems Research 2016, Vancouver, Canada, 14 – 18th November 2016. E-poster presentation on “An assessment of the financial sustainability of health facilities along cross border areas in East Africa”.